I began to realise my drawings seemed somewhat rigid and angular. Feedback i received during a group tutorial confirmed my concerns, and it was recommended i try and make it look more organic by adding in more foliage.

I tried adding in more small illustrations of hemp branches and leaves, appearing in a more natural organic way curving around and away from my illustrations I was able to take some attention away from these angles.

Scan 20Scan 19

Scan 23Scan 22

Scan 18Scan 21

(Branch Illustrations)

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 12.16.03

I constructed these tiles the same way I had the previous designs. Through first assembling them on Photoshop, placing my single illustrations together and flattening the image. before using InDesign to split the image into 4 and mirroring their position diagonally to create a repeat tile. I then took the image back to Photoshop and added additional illustrations over what were the outer edges so that when repeating it wouldn’t be easy to identify where one tile starts and the other begins.

possible1 

(Tile design 1)

patterntilemaybe1FORPRINT

(Tile design 1, repeat tile)

Untitled-1

(Tile design 2)

5

(tile design 2, repeat tile)

Untitled-1

(tile design 3)

Untitled-7sgfdg 2222

(tile design 3, repeat tile)

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 20.23.44

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 12.14.52

I used InDesign to put together my repeat tiles to see what the tiles would look like as a repeated print.

However I still felt as though the angles were still very prominent and that these branches took attention away form my main focus; the growth and applications. and felt as though i had only taken attention away from the other angles by creating more and making the pattern look too overwhelming.

i didn’t feel as though i wanted to go down this route, as i felt this overgrown look might convey that this is an untameable, out of control plant.
so I’m continuing to play about with arrangements to try and find a way of balancing these rigid, bold shapes out.

Advertisements